So we were gone all weekend for a wedding in Austin, TX. We got home about 4:00 Sunday and we were both craving something warm, satisfying and comforting so I broke out one of my old standbys. It's one of my hubby's absolute favorites!
ERIC'S FAVORITE BAKED MOSTACCIOLI
(Recipe courtesy of: ME!)
- 1/2 box dried mostaccioli pasta (you could use ziti, penne, rigatoni or any chunky pasta)
- 2 links spicy italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 tbls of minced garlic (more or less to your taste)
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup of grated parm cheese
- 1/4 cup italian style bread crumbs
- 1 tbls. butter
- Additional grated parm for serving
- Cook pasta to desired tenderness, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook onion and sausage in a skillet until browned. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatos, salt and pepper, italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes, stir, getting all the brown bits up from the bottom. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Grease a small casserole dish, add pasta and sauce, toss to coat.
- Mix parm cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the top of pasta. Cut butter into small pieces and place on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven until heated through and top is browned.
- Serve with additional parm cheese. Enjoy!