Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago

Ah...there's nothing like going home. We were at my folks house for the weekend and got to enjoy all my Chi-Town favorites. Moving to Iowa has definitely made me appreciate my roots A LOT more! Not to say that Iowa sucks or anything but when you've lived only one place your entire life and certain foods are as common as breakfast cereal you start to realize how much you miss them when you can't have them! I'm kicking myself for forgetting my camera!

Friday night: Lou Malnati's (1 South Roselle Rd, Schaumburg)
Mmmmmm....deep dish...the pizza that eats like a steak. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lou's and have been going there for many years, from birthday parties as a kid, to nights out in college, to our rehearsal dinner this place is like a second home. We had pepperoni and for the first time in my entire life I polished off two pieces. I have never made it through two entire pieces before!
http://www.loumalnatis.com/
Bonus: They ship EVERYWHERE! Well worth it!

Saturday afternoon: Portillos (611 East Golf Rd, Schaumburg)
Okay, one problem with Portillos...I can never ever decide what I want to get!! Italian beef, Italian Sausage, hot dogs? Decisions, decisions! I love all those things but lots of times I just cannot pass up the Chopped Salad. Here's the description:

(from www.portillos.com) Romaine & Iceberg mix with Tubetti Pasta, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, Gorganzola cheese, green onion, red cabbage and tossed with House dressing.

I just love all the bite sized veggies and the little pasta tubes. The dressing is so freakin' awesome! Confession: This isn't exactly from Portillo's its from Barnelli's Pasta Bowl...some Portillo's have Barnelli's in them some don't. If you're eating Barnelli's you are for sure in Portillo's but just because you're in Portillo's doesn't mean you can get Barnelli's!

Eric likes to get the Beef and Cheddar Crossaint. Here's a description:

(from www.portillos.com) A perfect compliment of our famous Italian Beef layered with Cheddar cheese and served on a toasted fresh croissant.

Oh, how I miss my home!! We really need to start branching out because we seem to visit the same places every time we're there and there's so many yummy places to eat!!!! Run, don't walk, to the Chicago area NOW! :)


No comments: