Sunday, July 1, 2007

Knee High by the 4th of July

Well, I was wandering around the grocery store today and the big piles of sweet corn were calling to me. "hey, buy me! I won't let you down, I promise!" I should have known those little buggers were lying to me! Ha...it's a little early for really good locally grown sweet corn. I made it tonight. Although it wasn't horrible, it wasn't as good as I know it will be. When the locals start selling it out of the backs of their pickups and vans in parking lots...THEN you know it's time for corn! They're just not quite ready this early...as the old saying goes "Knee high by the 4th of July"

I also made steaks on the grill. Now Eric, bless his heart, went to visit his parents one weekend and came back with an entire third of a steer. Okay...do you realize how much meat this is? We are talking at least a couple hundred pounds. AT LEAST! We had to purchase and extra freezer so we could keep it all. The steaks were just okay...they always are. Eric really liked his, which is great but I'm just not a big red meat eater. I would almost always choose something else. But we've got steaks out the ying yang so I'm gonna keep making them and eating them! I just need some creative things to do with them.

No comments: